The term "Indigo child" refers to a child with high sensitivities and enriched sensory abilities. These children often display extraordinary talents in academics, art or music. Indigo children can be quite challenging from a parenting perspective, because they are highly sensitive to food additives, chemicals, loud noises, light, stimulation, and other people's feelings, among other things. They are often misunderstood, and their gifts may go unacknowledged.
I know, as I am the mother of a now-adult Indigo child. I supported her throughout her childhood, and now she's grown up to be an intuitive healer.
As the parent of a "highly sensitive child," we may find it difficult to get an unbiased opinion about our child's strengths. Teachers and "experts" may be quick to focus on their weaknesses and differences, and label them as a "problem." And usually they believe this "problem" requires long-term medication or therapy to keep them under control. In a world where parents are looking for the cure for their child's diagnosed syndrome, medicating long term is NOT the solution.
When we label our children with an emotional or mental disorder, we are basically telling them that they are not like "normal" kids. These labels restrict their own beliefs of who they are and who they are capable of becoming.
When we recognize our gifted children as a new evolutionary step for humanity, we can finally see them for who they truly are. As parents, we need to embrace each of our unique children and find a way for them to flourish in a world that doesn't always embrace differences.
For parents of sensitive children, here are 9 attributes that we may notice in our Indigo child.
1. Heart centered when young. Indigos possess an inner knowing that we are all one and that we are all connected. When your child cares as much about others as they care about themselves, you know you have a special child.
2. Wisdom at a young age. Talking to a young Indigo may feel like you are talking to an elder. Sage advice may be free flowing.
3. Talk about stars and planets as if they have been there. Memories from another lifetime or from another planet may come across as a cherished memory that they will love to share. They may seem like great storytellers but they usually tell you what they have already experienced.
4. Have imaginary friends or see angels and deceased relatives. Many Indigos have the gift of clairvoyance and can see beings from other dimensions.
5. Talk to their pets like as if they were a person. The ability to communicate telepathically and empathically is common for Indigos. Pets express unconditional love, and Indigo children feel safe with them. It is similar to having a best friend who always listens without judgment.
6. Crave nature. Connecting with Mother Earth feels nurturing and supportive for an Indigo.
7. Get sick easily. Their entire immune system is easily strained since they are taking on other people's emotional and physical energy.
8. Prone to having night terrors. This is very common as they may see (clairvoyance) and hear (clairaudience) other beings from other realms.
9. May find solace in being alone. Sensory overload can result when they pick up other people's emotions. Indigos need time to be alone and decompress.
Because Indigo children are more sensitive than most and are often acutely affected by their environment, things like light, noise, household chemicals, toxins in food, and even electromagnetic frequencies are particularly tough on them. Their highly sensitive brains and bodies will react poorly to a less-than-ideal home environment. Severe reactions such as acting out, becoming reclusive, or losing control of their intuitive abilities usually occur with sensory overload from the environment.
To help your Indigo thrive, try these steps. Remove all electronics from the bedroom. Invest in a flat-screen monitor for the computer. Stop using the microwave. Put EMF (electromagnetic field) protectors on all electronics. Filter your water. Eat food that is chemical and additive free. And help them connect with nature daily.