Information

Sustainable living 101

The intention of this group is to create a Library and resources on how to live in a way that is more environmentally friendly

Members: 126
Latest Activity: Jul 24, 2015

Sustainable..and simple things to do

"Sustainable living and simple tools..are all around us..in practice..and in resource..One must simply look ..and apply to their lives!What is the Big Deal?"
This comment was sent to me..on another service..and I thought I'ld share this with all of our community here!The person making this statement..has "Never" camped in a tent..worked with Tools..in their life..Never "Gathered berries in the wild"..or..hunted/fished for their food!Their idea.. of hunting,and gathering..is going to the local food/ Grocery store..and finding out that they are out of Bree cheese!
I talked with them..and gave them "Home work"..and they came back with the comment.."I'll never do that again..even if the power goes out..The Government will step in and all will be restored"..Then I referred her to the recent snafu of this winter..when MOST of the North east GRID..shut down as a result of the snow,and storms that ..hit that area..
Then I switched gears and brought her to South Dakota..and the Storm in November 08..Where Thousands had no power..and some still do not..Where is the government then?The reason most were able to work thru that mess was from "Simple tools"..of "sustainable living"..to keep warm..have "Stores " of food and emergency supplies ..to keep warm..and live with while things got fixed!
Just a few thoughts to ponder..what do you have to say?

Discussion Forum

Build Your Own Recycled Pallet Compost Bin

Started by Charlie. Last reply by Charlie Sep 7, 2011. 3 Replies

Homemade Beauty Recipes

Started by Humanity Healing International Aug 24, 2011. 0 Replies

Toxic Ingredient of the Month

Started by Charlie. Last reply by Robert Sadler Nov 15, 2010. 1 Reply

Subject: Clorox vs Peroxide

Started by Charlie. Last reply by Robert Sadler Nov 15, 2010. 2 Replies

Rules About Eating

Started by Charlie Nov 5, 2010. 0 Replies

Keeping Chickens in Winter

15 Ways to Reduce Food Packaging

The Healing Weeds in Your Yard

What To Put In A Pantry

Homemade Butter

Started by Charlie. Last reply by Charlie Nov 5, 2010. 2 Replies

PARENT EFFECTIVENESS TRAINING..

Eau de Cologne

DIY homemade cleaners

Started by RaK Sep 28, 2010. 0 Replies

image hosting by http://themeworxmedia.com/pix/

Comment

You need to be a member of Sustainable living 101 to add comments!

Comment by Maggie Schilb-Davis on June 2, 2013 at 11:08pm

First I would like to say that I am excited to join this group. I have been very environmentally conscience for years and I have really revved up my commitment to the cause. My husband and I have dreams of building an earthship and those dreams r starting to come true. I would highly encourage anyone to just check out the pics of earthship on google images. They are so beautiful as well as very practical solution to living with nature! Also, thanks Claudia for sharing that book. It sounds like a great reference and I think my sister would enjoy it! 

Comment by deZengo on February 12, 2012 at 3:40am

:-)   I"ll watch in a bit. ;-)  Thx for sharing as always.

dZ

Comment by deZengo on August 14, 2011 at 9:30pm

http://corporatekindness.org/blog/green-office/?gclid=CNPSsauS0KoCF...

Get the free Green Office Guide :: GREEN Earth Corporate Kindness --> GECKO 

Please sign up to receive the freeGreen Office Guide ™ for 2011.   You will receive the Guide via the Internet.  In this year’s Guide there are 100 ways to make your workplace eco-friendly and save your business money by doing it.  Click here to sign up now.

The 100 point assessment within the free Guide covers the corporate go green spectrum from infrastructure/construction, supply chain, recycling, green vendors/green partners, corporate kindness, energy saving measures, renewable energy, product development, green marketing, green finance, green offices, landscaping, IT, water conservation, and carbon footprint resources.  General recommendations are made to help your business be green and lower costs.

Please click on this link & then signup to receive the free  Green Office Guide ™ for 2011.

GECKO is a 501c3 non-profit organization and we produce the Guide to help fulfill our mission of educating businesses on environmental stewardship.  In the Guide’s pages you will find implementable changes that you can make that will help stop global warming, desertification, deforestation, water pollution, air pollution, soil contamination, strip mining (unfortunately all this stuff comes from somewhere), and heat island effects.

It is free because many organizations lack the time, money, or expertise to implement ecologically empathetic changes on their own.

We have designed this guide to highlight money saving and money making ‘green changes’ that any business worker or business owner can make and should make.

Please click on this link & then signup to receive the free 2010-2011 Green Office Guide .

You can unsubscribe at anytime and we do not sell our email contacts.

As we said, the Green Office Guide is provided free of charge as a public service.    Moreover, we offer free advice from Environmental Experts to assist you with your recycling, energy efficiency, renewable energy, water conservation, green building, environmental clean up, or other Green Project.

Beyond the free Guide and the volunteers, we offer Professional Business Sustainability Consulting services.

We would like to extend our special thanks to those prestigous organizations that are aiding us in distributing the

Green Office Guide 

ECRI

——————————————————————————-

Comment by deZengo on November 5, 2010 at 1:04pm
Locally, I am excited to finally be able to talk about the Sustainable institute that is coming to TN. ;-D

The Sweetwater Sustainable Institute :: Yahoo Group HERE>>>

Web Site : http://urbancentury.org/

I am trying to get those folks here & OM : as a regular contributor.

Much Love & Endless Light,
~deZengo
Comment by Robert Sadler on November 5, 2010 at 10:51am
Looks like a good group to be in. I believe in sustainable living. I try to grow as much of my own food as possible and not to be as reliant on store bought purchases. I heat with scrap wood, when I can to cut down my utility expenses. I would like to get some wind & solar power going, but it is not in the budget right now. (I earn less than minimum wage and support myself & 2 grandchildren with it.) I gleaned some greenhouse supplies today from some commercial ones that got sold at auction & were tearing down, so with luck I can get a structure up to protect my plants from the high plains desert environment I live in. I got greenhouse grade plastic, ground cover cloth & a truck load of potting soil to get me started. All I need is a frame & a drip irrigation system & I should be able to grow decent veggies & flowers most of the year ! I harvest what little rain water I can collect for the garden , as there are so many mineral salts in the ground water that it stunts the growth of the plants. (I do not want to think about what it could be doing to me ...) Good fortune to everybody, and have a blessed life ! Nice to be here.
Comment by LoveMaster on October 14, 2009 at 10:29pm
Pictures from the Meet Up at Heartwood as well as some of the experiences by
those who went [on the Group].

On FaceBook [most pictures]
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=39773&id=1327931620&ref=nf

On Yahoo Groups [all pictures & experiences]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theedenproject

You should have been there....maybe for the next one!?
Comment by Cassie on August 3, 2009 at 5:48pm
Hello All!

This seemed to be the best place to mention this. I have started a local MeetUp group called Hampton Roads Community Gardens Project. I have had this project on my mind for a couple of years now, and having spent so much time in day to day life working the day job, didn't give me the time to really explore the possibilities and do the networking. Then came MeetUp. I just recently discovered it. And I would like to present the idea to a larger group of people who may be inspired as I have been to create a community gardens project somewhere else.

Now the whole idea of the Hampton Roads Community Gardens Project is to create a community garden or more than one, where food is grown. This is meant to serve two purposes. It builds community, relying on people who live in the community to volunteer to be a part of this, to work the gardens, and to make the food available to the community if transport of food to the grocery stores is ever interrupted. In the meantime, there is a local farmers market that is losing growers, the growers (local farmers) can't afford to keep growing their crops as their only source of income. That's where we come in.

The other thing that this does is to build a stronger sense of community among those who are involved in it or in need of what we grow. Right about now, given that we are just starting this project, we need information from any other group that has done something similar. We have questions.

How did you get the land or use of some land for starting a community gardens project?

How did you go about funding the project?

If you talked with your local city about getting some land set aside for your use, who did you go to? i.e. City Council, Parks and Recreation, etc.

Are there grants available for this kind of project?

Could you recommend any grantwriters?

We have only held one meeting so far, but we have our work cut out for us at this point. Research comes first. We hope to be planting on the land set aside for the project by spring. Now, we have heard of one particular program that is set up to teach enterpreneurial skills to youth in urban areas and the funds provided for that has been used locally to establish a garden project at a local high school, and they help supply food they grow to the 5 Points Farm Market in Norfolk, VA. I do know that 5 Points was instrumental in helping someone affiliated with the school get the grant money for that project. And yes, I intend to speak with the people at 5 Points about this as well. It's the best lead I've had so far.

If anyone else has done something like this and spoken with a city about getting land donated for this kind of project, please let me know! I would like to see a plan that would have been presented, that we could base our plan on. I would like to contact anyone who has had success with this. The more heads the better! (to butcher a saying).

Immense thanks!!!
Cassie Zievers
Cofounder Hampton Roads Community Gardens Project via MeetUp
cjz1739@gmail.com or littlewingcz@yahoo.com
Comment by Barbara Tako on January 30, 2009 at 6:24pm
Thank you for the existence of this group. I believe it is helpful to distinguish between "wants" and "needs" as we learn to live a more sustainable life. Our culture, at least in the United States, seems to be confused between these two. Wishing each of you peace....Barb
Comment by Cameron on January 30, 2009 at 4:11am
Comment by Tiffany on January 1, 2009 at 4:19am
Curious... many mentions of 2012 prophecy this past year.... my family thought it was about the Mayan Calender ending that year.... any similarity or difference for other cultures?

Members (126)

Networking Community of Conscious Beings committed to Holistic Healing, Education & Spiritual Activism

What is Humanity Healing?

Ways to Help

"We do not run a service to make money. We raise money to run our service"

Gifts to Humanity Healing International are deductible for U.S. federal income tax purposes.

Suggestions, Ideas?
Please contact us:
contact@humanityhealing.net

HHI-(571)374-4674

Humanity Healing New Rules

OMTimes Broadcast Network now has its it's own Radio channel.  Conscious Programming and Music 24 hours day.
Try  Now
Desktop
Mobile
No App Required

Network Spotlights

Follow me on Blogarama
www.omtimes.com

Confused about how to navigate this site? Click on the red button below and go straight to the Orientation Station.

Photos

• Add Photos

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Humanity Healing International.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Humanity Healing Community Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...